Oregon Child Support Program

Modify an Order for Child Support

If you qualify for a modification on your support order, we will use a process similar to the one used when your child support order was entered. The child support guidelines (OAR 137-050-0700 through 137-050-0765) must be used to determine the new amount. The amount may increase or decrease. Learn more about the Child Support Guidelines Calculator.

If either parent lives outside of Oregon, federal law provides guidance to determine which state is responsible for modifying a child support order. See Interstate Cases for more information.

You may ask the Child Support Program to review the child support and/or medical support terms of your order if it has been at least 35 months since the date the last order was entered or reviewed, or you can show proof that there has been a significant change of circumstance since your order was finalized. Some examples of significant changes are:

  • Physical custody of the child has changed

  • The needs of the child have changed

  • The number of children involved has changed

  • The income of one or both parents has changed

Both parents may consent to the modification. This means both parents agree to the amount of support each parent is responsible for. If either parent does not agree on the amount of support payments, a hearing may be requested. A hearing may be requested and an Administrative Law Judge will make a determination on the appropriate amount for support payments. Learn more about the Administrative Hearing Process.

For more information, see Steps to Modifying a Current Order for Child Support or contact your local child support office.