Oregon Child Support Program

Contact Us

If you have an open case with the Oregon Child Support Program, you may obtain 24-hour payment and case status information by telephone or online. You may access the telephone information line using the following numbers:

From the Salem area: (503) 373-7300
Toll-free in Oregon: (800) 850-0228
From outside Oregon: (503) 378-5567
TTY: (800) 735-2900

Click here for help navigating the automated telephone menu based on who you are.

You may also access information about your case online:

  • Case status - This system will provide the partys' names, the assigned child support office, whether the case has an order, and if there is a legal action in progress to establish or modify an order
  • Payment history - For current balances and other accounting information

Case Specific Information/Questions

For case specific information or questions, or if you would like to speak to a case manager, you may visit, telephone, fax or email the child support office nearest you.

Title Companies/Escrow Agents

Title companies and escrow agents may contact the Title & Escrow Assistance Desk to discuss any real estate transaction.

Insurance Payments and Settlements

If you have any information regarding an insurance or other settlement that may be payable to someone who owes child support, please contact the Special Collections Central Unit. Phone: 503-373-7300; Fax: 503-378-6012; Email: garnquestions@doj.state.or.us


Employers seeking assistance may contact the Employer Services Team or see Employer Resources for more information.

Website Feedback

For suggestions for how we can enhance or improve our website, please send your comments through our feedback form.


Our goal is to provide you with fair and professional service. If you believe you have not received fair or professional service, or if you believe the child support office made an error in your case, please discuss the matter with an office staff member, lead worker, or supervisor. Child Support Office  

If you cannot resolve the problem by talking to a staff member, lead worker, or supervisor, you may contact Constituent Services at (503) 947-4388. You may also email representatives of the Constituent Services Team at constituent.desk@doj.state.or.us or file a grievance with the administration of the Child Support Program.